The COVID-19 Recovery and
Resilience Program is an initiative by Mastercard Foundation in partnership
with KEPSA whose aim is to support women/youth led or owned micro, small and
medium enterprises (MSMEs) whose operations have been adversely affected by
Our aim is to support MSMEs who
find it difficult to access financing from formal lending
institutions such as banks and micro-financers.
Through this program, we have
a target of supporting at least 400 Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
(MSMEs), with interest free short-term loans ranging between Kshs 100,000 to
Kshs 1.5 million without any collateral, and payable within six months.
- 0% Interest rate
- No collateral requirements
- No loan processing fees
- Amount is Ksh100,000 – 1.5 million
- Repayment is within 6 months
- Funds processing time is 2.5 to 4 weeks.
The following is the eligibility criteria for businesses to qualify for this loan:
The business must be:
- A member of KEPSA, member of members of KEPSA through Business Associations or pay the joining fee which is minimal.
- Have been in operation for at least six months.
- Owned/led by Women (18-70yrs) or youth (18-35yrs).
- Experiencing operational challenges due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- A micro, small and medium enterprise of not more than 50 employees and with an annual turnover of up to KES 5million.
- Capable to repay the loan within six months.
- NOT engaged in the following; alcohol, tobacco & drugs related, weapons manufacturer & war related activities, gambling/betting, sex related industries or have ownership by state or parastatal actors
Note: Male (over 35 years) businesses meeting
all other criteria except age supporting vulnerable groups such as youth,
people living with disability, refugees, etc will be considered upon providing
The Mastercard Foundation
COVID-19 Recovery and Resilience Program aims to assist local businesses to
weather and respond to the negative effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, while
strengthening their resilience in the long- run.
The following copies of documents will be required to apply for the loan.
- Business registration certificate
- Business license/permit (Optional)
- Business KRA Pin certificate
- Loan applicant ID copy
- CR12 form for limited companies
- Bank and/or Mpesa statements (6 months)
- KEPSA Membership certificate OR a certificate of membership for a KEPSA member Business Association. (Refer here for KEPSA member associations)
Besides providing loans, the
program also enables MSMEs to share knowledge between them, and provides
coaching to businesses on how to navigate the prevailing market disruptions,
through training and mentorship sessions by market and industry leaders from
The program was launched in
June 2020 and the loan application period is expected to be closed by end of January 2021.
Applications for the loans
can be made from http://smekepsa.or.ke/ where every applicant is required to create
an account, register their business (MSME) then apply for the loan or any other
opportunity available in the portal.
inquiry, support or assistance regarding this program, reach the KEPSA MSME
team on 0773132403 / 0780306036 / 0794968559 / firstname.lastname@example.org